to the Gardening-Conference 2000:
of Small-Scale Farming in urban and rural areas
- about the social and ecological necessity of gardens and informal agriculture" from 21. - 25. July 2000 in Berlin
Infos: Work group "Small-scale farming and Gardens in urban and rural Areas", C/O Free University of Berlin, Institute of Sociology, Elisabeth Meyer-Renschhausen, email@example.com
Urban vegetable growing in El Alto/Bolivia
El Alto, the neighbouring city to La Paz in the Andes Highlands is carachterized
by socio-economic, geographic and climatic extremes.
The empirical study started from the question how and if (peri-)urban agriculture is practiced in these conditions.
- What forms of urban agriculture exist in El Alto ?
- How important is it as a subsistence strategy ?
- Which role play vegetables ?
- Who practices it ?
- Which plants are grown ?
- Which means and techniques are used ?
- How important will be urban agriculture in the future in El Alto ?
13 cases are studied grouped in 3 forms of organization:
- private house gardens
- community gardens
- social institutions with gardens
The motivation for (peri-)urban vegetable growing varies but the use of simple hot houses and protecting constructions is common to all.
The results will be illustrated with slides.
zurück zur HauptseiteStand: 20.9.2002